Monday 2 April 2012

ASPARAGUS!

6 asparagus plants from my original planting (2 summers ago) came up again this year!  There was nothing to be seen yesterday, but a little bit of sunshine can go a long way. 

They were originally purchased from Gertens as plants (not crowns) and planted in 2010 as 2-year-old plants.  6 of the original 8 remain.  I had planted 6 more aparagus crowns last year, but they never really did much.  I was nervous about any of them coming back this year since the rabbits mowed them to the ground last year - and I thought they didn't eat Asparagus!  Although, they took out my hot pepper plants too so maybe they just had very advanced palettes.

Also, here is my first lettuce bed - isn't it coming along nicely?  The bright row in the back are the radishes and the spindly ones in the front are the spinach.  The red versions are a bit harder to see, but hopefully in a week or so they'll be nice and big for all to see.

Temperatures are projected to be ranging from 40-low 60s for the next 10 days, which should be perfect for these cool season crops.

1 comment: